Friday, February 10, 2006

Only 1 day, 9 hours and 25 minutes till Tweedy-Time

I’m going to see Jeff Tweedy tomorrow!! Now my friends could tell you how momentous this actually is, not because I’m seeing Jeff Tweedy or because I love Jeff Tweedy, which I do, but because I'm going out. With my husband. Doesn't happen all that much. Kid thing. I've seen him many times but not solo yet and well this is at Spreckles, a lovely theater with fold-down movie seats. Anyhow. Wanna know why I like Jeff Tweedy so? Too bad, I'm gonna tell you anyway. Some of the same reasons I love Jenny Lewis of yesterday's post. Story telling. You know, what must it have been like for Jeff back in the Uncle Tupelo days, here he is in this band with Jay Farrar who has like the voice. A thick furry voice that you could pick out of 100, effortlessly. And Tweedy maybe wants to sing but hello, he's sitting next to that voice. But now fast forward a zillion years later and Jay Farrar still has that voice. And well I'm bored with that voice because it sounds like it did eons ago. Just the same. (My husband would disagree.) But Jeff Tweedy? He’s been everywhere and so has his voice. And now he's got the voice, for me. And it's ever changing and moving and caressing and spitting and the man can write a song. To me he is the torch bearer of American musical innovation. Man that sounds so dorky.

Jeff Tweedy, "When the Roses Bloom Again" from the Chelsea Walls soundtrack
Wilco, "Another Man Done Gone" live on KCRW 05

Wilco, "Be Not So Fearful" live on KCRW 05

Wilco, "Less Than You Think" live from 03

Wilco, "Handshake Drugs" from the Enhanced EP (a slower version)


You can buy Wilco everywhere. Check out their site, Wilcoworld.net.

No comments: