Friday, February 03, 2006

Poet Robert Burns' Set To Music

Camera Obscura, the Glasgow band, has been in existance since 1998. In 2004, they were asked to Radio 1 DJ legend John Peel's house (Peel Acres!) for a third time and they were asked to put music to the words of Scotland's most famous poet, Robert Burns. They did five poem/songs including Burns' "Of A' The Airts the Wind Can Blaw," otherwise known as "I Love My Jean." Apparently they enjoyed haggis with John. Anyway, they liked the songs so much they recorded them. Spain's Elefant label, which I LOVE, put out the CD and Merge licensed it in the States. The songs are lovely like pretty much all Camera Obscura stuff. A new CD is forthcoming this year and it will be titled "Underacheivers Please Try Harder." Can't wait. Meanwhile, we can enjoy these tracks from 04. Tracyanne, the singer of this band, loves comp tapes and by that I mean tapes, not CDs. Check out their site for a list of her fave songs from her fave tape.

Camera Obscura, "I Love My Jean"
Camera Obscura, "A Red, Red Rose"

Check out the bands' official site here. And I highly recc'd Elefant Records.

No comments: