Friday, March 03, 2006

The Finches Bliss Me Out

I've been lurking around various audioblogs for awhile now and it's been fabulous for picking up alternate versions of songs, new mixes, live stuff... all of bands I know and love already. There is plenty on them about bands I haven't heard of, but generally, and I don't know if this is the record store snob in me coming out, I just haven't connected with them. With a few exceptions. And this here is one of them.

The Finches are a band of two out of San Francisco and I adore everything I've heard thus far. Carolyn Pennypacker Riggs (c'mon, that's a good name!) has the most charming voice and it sounds lover-ly next to Aaron Morgan's. I don't know much about 'em, but I tell you, when my iPod is looking to bliss me out, it heads straight for "The Road."

The Finches, "The Road"
The Finches, "Daniel's Song"

The name? I have mixed feelings. We had so many finches when I was young, my mother was obsessed with them and had them in tiny bamboo cages dangling from within a ginormous macrame wall divider. The things would tweet all day, all night. And when one got sick, they all got sick and died mass birdy deaths. And then we'd start all over again. But the band, I like.

I greatly encourage you to explore them on your own— start with their website and then head to their My Space page. You can buy their six-song EP for seven dollars.

1 comment:

serafinafly said...

hi! just discovered your blog by way of largehearted boy...awesome! i am a high school librarian and writer as well...you may like my own blogs featuring women in music: www.bunchofbettys.blogspot.com
www.bunchofbettysmp3.blogspot.com

i have you on bloglines now... keep posting!